This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Ex rental now wifes main residence - to sell

MattMan10
Ex rental now wifes main residence - to sell

Postby MattMan10 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:36 pm

Hello,

I have a 2nd house which was being used as a rental until 2 years ago when my wife and I separated.

She has been living there since and as we are now divorcing we want to sell that house.

Will I need to pay CGT on this as it has been her main residence for 2 years.

Thanks

maths

Re: Ex rental now wifes main residence - to sell

Postby maths » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:24 pm

Yes, you are liable to CGT on any capital gains assuming, which appears to be the case, that your wife does not own any part of it.

MattMan10

Postby MattMan10 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:56 pm

We are joint owners on the mortgage.

MattMan10

Postby MattMan10 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:58 pm

And its essentially passing to her in the divorce settlement

maths

Postby maths » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:30 pm

Your additional info'; doesn't change my posts.

Gifts between spouses who have not separated can be passed between the two CGT free, but this is not your situation. You are in any event selling the property.

She may be on the mortgage which means she will also be on the legal title to the property but for tax purposes it is beneficial interest which are important. You refer to the property as "I have a 2nd property" suggesting you own 100% of the beneficial interest.

If she has always had a beneficial interest then some relief would be viable to her not you on any sale.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”