This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Revived gain from EIS deferral

ms7dcml
Revived gain from EIS deferral

Postby ms7dcml » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:06 pm

Hi all, I can't find the answer to this in the forum but please forgive me if it is buried somewhere. I have a number of EIS investments (some <3 years old, some >3 years) that were purchased with deferred CGT. The deferred CGT was a mix of 20% and 28% liabilities. I know that the deferred CGT will be revived when the EIS investments are realised (with any losses on the EIS either offset against income or capital, whichever makes sense at the time) and my understanding is that the then prevailing rates for CGT would be used. If my view is that there is a reasonably imminent (in the next year or so) risk of GCT rates rising then it might make sense for me to revive these gains now. My question is whether it is possible to revive a gain immediately and also to confirm my understanding that revived gains are at the prevailing rate.
Many thanks

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”