This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital Gains Tax

paul.e

Postby paul.e » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:45 am

Our commercial property company was formed in 1986 50% of shares in my name. 3 years ago I transferred 12.5% to my wife. I am proposing to transfer another 12.5% to my wife. If we in the future sell the company via a sale of shares will the capital gains taper relief time scale be based on the date my wife received the shares to the sale date or the issue date 1986.ie Indexation to 1998 taper relief 1998 onwards.

paul e

ian.wright@beechams.

Postby ian.wright@beechams. » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:31 am

A transfer to your wife (who lives with you) will be treated as though she had originally owned the shares back in 1986. She will take on the base cost and have use of indextaion to April 1998 and taper relief from there on.

paul.e

Postby paul.e » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:37 am

Thank you Ian for this information
Paul.e

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”