This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Incorporation Relief

oceananic
Incorporation Relief

Postby oceananic » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:40 pm

Good afternoon

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me.
My siblings and i are looking to incorporate our BTL partnership.
I understand that as we all work within the partnership there should be no CGT or SDLT.

Once we are trading as a LTd company, am i then able to sell my shareholding..say in the next tax year.., to a new company, owned totally by me ?

Or would the CGT or SDLT relief from incorporating the partnership be clawed back by HMRC?
Would I be better off to wait 2 or 3 years to avoid claw back, or is that unnessacery?

Any help or guidance much appreciated.

AdamS93

Re: Incorporation Relief

Postby AdamS93 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:29 am

For incorporation relief to apply, set conditions have to be met. You have to have a 'business' so if you have just a handful of properties, it is very unlikely you will qualify.

If you claim incorporation relief, the last thing you will want to do is to sell/gift the shares as the base cost of the shares will be very low due to incorporation relief.

You NEED professional advice.

AdamS93

Re: Incorporation Relief

Postby AdamS93 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:30 am

That should read 'if you qualify for incorporation relief, rather than 'claim'.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”