This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT lower rate and Dividends.

Dave234
CGT lower rate and Dividends.

Postby Dave234 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:25 am

I am about to sell a second home. There will be a taxable price difference of approx. £125,000 between buying and selling after personal allowances and costs so the CGT will therefore be in two parts 18% and 28%. My pension income (£10,000) is below the tax threshold but I have also taken approx. £35,000 in dividends from shares this year.
Can I disregard the dividend income for the CGT calculation as it is not earned income?
Will the lower rate 18% CGT apply to £37,500 only or the full difference between my pension income and the higher tax rate - £40,000? The remainder would be taxed at 28%.
Any comment appreciated.

bd6759

Re: CGT lower rate and Dividends.

Postby bd6759 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:06 pm

Dividends are charged to income tax and use up the income tax rate bands first.

Capital gains are charged on the rate bands remaining after income tax.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”