This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on property sale

steven13
CGT on property sale

Postby steven13 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:26 am

I am in the process of selling a property which was originally my private residence but has in recent years been let. I have calculated (based on time apportionment) that part of the overall gain which relates to the period of letting. That part of the gain is below the CGT annual allowance. Following completion of the sale at the end of this month do I need to advise HMRC within 30 days or take any other immediate action?

bd6759

Re: CGT on property sale

Postby bd6759 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:41 am

Yes. The 30 day return is required even although the return shows no tax to pay.

maths

Postby maths » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:51 pm

bd, more your scene than mine, but if there is no notional CGT to pay then no return is required?

FA 2019 Sch 2 para 3(1) is subject to para. (3)(a) which refers to para 4.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:41 am

Maths.. I agree.

I was lazy and followed the flowchart on the RossMartin website. Whilst it’s a useful resource, it’s not always right.

OP. HMRC guidance is here
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/get-ready-for-changes-to-capital-gains-tax-payment-for-uk-property-sales

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”