This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Disposal and acquired same company but different symbols and exchanges

tw07
Disposal and acquired same company but different symbols and exchanges

Postby tw07 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:40 pm

Greetings,

I've been having this question for a while but unable to get the correct answer for this.

Example:
I own 3 shares of "The Walt Disney Company" with ticker symbol WDP.DE and was bought on the XETRA exchange (in EUR) and decided to sell them.
Within the 30 days period, I buy 3 new shares of the same company "The Walt Disney Company". However, this time it was on the NASDAQ exchange, in USD and with the ticker symbol DIS.

My question is, does the disposal counts as unique disposal for the capital gain tax (making the acquisition a "different" company since it as different ticker symbol and currency) or does it falls into the "bed and breakfasting" rule (is the same company and the disposal and acquired was within the following 30 days)?

Thanks for the help ;)

pawncob

Re: Disposal and acquired same company but different symbols and exchanges

Postby pawncob » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:16 pm

They're shares in the same company, regardless of currency.(Unless they're designated as different classes of share)
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

tw07

Re: Disposal and acquired same company but different symbols and exchanges

Postby tw07 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:10 am

Ahh, ok it makes sense.
I think they are in the same class so they are the same shares.

Thank you so much for your help @pawncob. :P

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”