This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on First Home

coinbase
CGT on First Home

Postby coinbase » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:57 am

My daughter bought and lived for six years in a property on the south coast. She moved to the west country to take a job with the NHS and lived there in rented accommodation. She put her property on the market but after nine months it had still not attracted a buyer so she let the property out. In the meantime she bought a small one bedroomed flat in the west country (her rent was the same as mortgage repayments). She now has a buyer for the house. What is her CGT liability? Is she exempt because she moved for work? If not can she call her house her primary residency as she lived there for six years compared to the flat where she has lived for 18 months? If not, can she flip properties?

maths

Re: CGT on First Home

Postby maths » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:11 pm

The house will qualify for private residence relief from date of purchase to date she left to live in rented accommodation plus the last 9 months of ownership.

Any gain attributable to the balance of the period of ownership is subject to CGT albeit with an annual exemption of £12,300.

Moving for work is irrelevant as she didn't move back into the house as a residence.

The flat became her residence from when she moved in. At no time did she occupy two residences at the same time.

coinbase

Postby coinbase » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:21 am

Thanks maths.
I have found this on the Gov website and it suggests my daughter can nominate her first house as her residency. She is still within the time limit to do this.

From HS283 Private Residence Relief (2020)

Example 3
In June 1992 you bought a house which became your only home. In May 2019 you bought another house which you occupied as a second home. You can nominate the second home or your original home to be your main residence. Your nomination must be made by May 2021.

I am right in thinking she can?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:43 pm

No.

See maths’ final paragraph. The first home is not a residence because she doesn’t live there.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”