This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

gift from spouse

popular
gift from spouse

Postby popular » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:27 pm

My wife is the owner of two flats. She would like to gift one to me.
There is a capital gain on this flat, and presumably stamp duty to pay on the transfer.
Are there any tax concessions relating to gifts of property between spouses

Samson22

Re: gift from spouse

Postby Samson22 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:25 pm

Because you are married there would be NO CGT nomatter the capital gain amount. There also would be NO stamp duty if there is NO mortgage involved. If there is a mortgage involved it is the amount of the mortgage that is relevant. and the 7 Year year rule also does not apply for gifts no matter how big for spouses for tax implications. Assuming the spouse is UK domiciled.

popular

Postby popular » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:25 pm

Thank you for this information
This gift of a property from my wife has increased in value by £52,000 since she originally purchased it. Although i have no intention of selling it, should i do so would i be deemed to have acquired it at the price my wife original paid of £102,000, or at its value at the time of the gift to me (i.e £154,0000)
If i am deemed to have acquired it at £154,000, this would seem to be a remarkably easy method for a couple to together avoid a substantial CGT should i sell

Samson22

Postby Samson22 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:35 am

Your correct to state you would be deemed to have enquired it at the original price. One way around this would be she gift the equity in stages using the annual CGT exemption. Would take about 4 years however.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:26 am

Your correct to state you would be deemed to have enquired it at the original price. One way around this would be she gift the equity in stages using the annual CGT exemption. Would take about 4 years however.
That would make no difference whatsoever. The transfer to a spouse is always at a value that gives no gain and no loss. In its simplest form, that means the value of the transfer is at its original cost. Splitting it up does not change that.

maths

Postby maths » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:54 pm

Transfers between spouses living together are at no gain/no loss ie base cost to transferee spouse is the original cost to the transferor spouse.

Transferring an asset between spouses over time in a series of transactions will not achieve any CGT savings as no chargeable gain arises on such transfers.

Transfers between connected persons (not inter-spouse) over time in a series of transactions are subject to the anti-avoidance provisions, TCGA 1992 ss 19/20.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”