This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Changed to capital gains tax

BuyHoldRinseRepeat
Changed to capital gains tax

Postby BuyHoldRinseRepeat » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:41 pm

Hi all,

I know the government is currently looking to reform tax and CGT is on their target list. I am aware that the autumn budget has been postponed but will probably be announced after Christmas sometime.

My question is as follows:
Can the government make a change to the tax rules and retrospectively ask for tax? for example if i have already made a £5000 capital gain this tax year which is well within the current £12300 tax free allowance, can the government say right as of tomorrow we are scrapping the CGT allowance, you now owe us tax on the £5000 capital gain you have already made earlier in the year?

Thanks

AGoodman

Re: Changed to capital gains tax

Postby AGoodman » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:07 pm

In theory they probably could (Parliament is Sovereign etc) but there is no precedent for historic transactions so this is extremely unlikely for the current tax year.

Not least because they have already passed a Finance Act setting out the tax rates and allowances for the current tax year.

There is precedent for changing the rules for future transactions in the same tax year but this has only, so far as I recall, been for transactions from the date of the announcement (e.g. to stop an avoidance scheme or increase stamp duty). The one exception was that changes might be slipped into the Finance Bill between the budget date (usually March under the old system) and the passing of the Finance Act in July/August which would have applied from 6 April that year. These were usually seen (by HMRC at least) as small changes to a proposal that had been announced in the budget (perhaps because it was pointed out the draft legislation didn't work) rather than wholly new ideas.

In conclusion: no

BuyHoldRinseRepeat

Re: Changed to capital gains tax

Postby BuyHoldRinseRepeat » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:31 pm

In theory they probably could (Parliament is Sovereign etc) but there is no precedent for historic transactions so this is extremely unlikely for the current tax year.

Not least because they have already passed a Finance Act setting out the tax rates and allowances for the current tax year.

There is precedent for changing the rules for future transactions in the same tax year but this has only, so far as I recall, been for transactions from the date of the announcement (e.g. to stop an avoidance scheme or increase stamp duty). The one exception was that changes might be slipped into the Finance Bill between the budget date (usually March under the old system) and the passing of the Finance Act in July/August which would have applied from 6 April that year. These were usually seen (by HMRC at least) as small changes to a proposal that had been announced in the budget (perhaps because it was pointed out the draft legislation didn't work) rather than wholly new ideas.

In conclusion: no
Thank you AGoodman. This answers my question. Much appreciated :D

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”