This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Negligible Value Claim in Respect of Shares Questions

curiouslady
Negligible Value Claim in Respect of Shares Questions

Postby curiouslady » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:47 pm

Hi,
Can anyone please advise with regards to a few questions to know if I qualify for negligible value claim in respect of shares against income tax. Any advise/clarity on this very much appreciated.

I bought some shares using my shares ISA in a UK company that traded on NYSE at about $3, but the company filed for chapter 11 and are currently trading under OTC for 0.08cents. Can I claim for a loss for this?
Also not clear on what determines "qualifying trading company." Or can I claim for my loss through any other avenue?

Any advise greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

bd6759

Re: Negligible Value Claim in Respect of Shares Questions

Postby bd6759 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:21 pm

An ISA is outside the the scope of CGT. You don’t pay tax on gains, but conversely there is no relief for losses.

curiouslady

Postby curiouslady » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:32 pm

Thank for your reply bd6759.
So outside CGT relief on losses, is there any other way i can get a relief on this?

Thank you.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:25 pm

As bd6759 says, there is no relief for ISA losses.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”