This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT advice please

diamond2
CGT advice please

Postby diamond2 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:31 pm

Hi there,

Can you advise me regarding CGT please?

In 2015 I moved out of my home after 26years, and at that time, for BTL mortgage purposes, the house was valued at £340k. I then rented it out and It's now worth about £385k.

In the meantime I bought a flat which is now worth roughly £325k.

I'm now considering moving and selling both properties. Can you give me any advice as to what I may currently pay in CGT please? Also, I've heard that you may benefit from moving back in to the house for 6 months. Is this correct?

Thanking you in advance.

Mandy

bd6759

Re: CGT advice please

Postby bd6759 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:01 pm

You pay CGT on the difference between the buying and the selling price, and less costs.

If a property is your home, that period is exempt. This is a time based apportionment. Roughly 26/31 based on question. You need to do it in months, but you are allowed to add a further 9 months.

Moving back in for a short period does not count.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”