This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Entrepreneurs relief change question

Jetsetter4805
Entrepreneurs relief change question

Postby Jetsetter4805 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:47 pm

Hi all,

Firstly, I acknowledge that nobody on here has a crystal ball but I am about to begin the process of liquidating my limited company via a members voluntary liquidation. Is there much probability that Entrepreneurs (Business Asset Disposal) relief would be abolished before 5th April 2021 if the Chancellor does decide to abolish it? I understand there will be a Spring budget (in March 2021) and wondered if any changes to this relief would be effective immediately (at the point of the Spring budget) or would they most likely apply from the next tax year i.e. 6 April 2021?

I obviously want to avoid a situation where the relief is abolished before I have received the capital distribution in circa. March 2021. The liquidation process takes several weeks and can't be expediated in order to react to legislation changes.

Thank you in advance!

AGoodman

Re: Entrepreneurs relief change question

Postby AGoodman » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:35 am

They're very unlikely to abolish it given they just cut it down from £10m to £1m and went to the trouble of changing the name...

Even if they did, I also doubt they would do it other than by tax year

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”