This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gift of house to son

JamesB1961
Gift of house to son

Postby JamesB1961 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:43 pm

I wish to gift a property, that has been let out to third parties in the past, to my son who wants to move out of our PPR and into the gifted cottage. This gift as it stands will incur a substantial CGT liability.

To reduce the liability I propose to transfer a 50% share to my wife before the gift is made. I then propose to transfer slices of ownership say 25% per year over 4 tax years to enable both my wife and I to benefit from our annual reliefs and pay any tax due at the lower rates. It will in effect equate to a shared owner scheme. He may or not pay us rent n the shares remaining in our ownership!

Each transfer will be declared at full open market, in accordance with TGA 1992 SS 19 and 20.

Is there any apparent issues with such an idea?? Any advice most appreciated.

bd6759

Re: Gift of house to son

Postby bd6759 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:05 am

Nothing wrong with that.

What will happen if your wife decides that she doesn’t want to gift her share to your son?

maths

Re: Gift of house to son

Postby maths » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:15 pm

It is possible to settle the property on discretionary trust and hold-over any gain. In due course trustees can appoint property out to son and again hold over any gain.

CGT is thus avoided on any gain until son sells. If son holds property until his death any gain is simply wiped out.

However, if son sells CGT will be payable on the aggregate gain.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”