This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Bed and Breakfast when I exercise options

kwiji
Bed and Breakfast when I exercise options

Postby kwiji » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:19 pm

Just checking will a Sell and then a purchase of vested stock options incur the Bed and Breakfast rule..

Example:
Join a company (US COmpany I'm UK based) 4 Years company NSO Stock options 25% vest each year over 4 years. RIght to purchase at $1 (4000 shares)

So 4000 shares, 1000 vesting each year over 4 years.
I purchase 1000 shares end of my first year fair market values is $1.
Second year the shares are now worth $10, I sell the 1000 (For $10000 making $9000 profit) however I purchase my newly vested shares all 1000 (for $1 each paying tax on the 9000 amount of fair market value same day I sold them).

So in the end I'm left with 1000 shares and $10,000 in my account (With 2000 still to vest).. Am i right that I don't have to pay the Capital gains on the $9000 profit until I ultimately sell the next 1000 because I purchased my additional vested options within the 30 day window thus my Capital gains on the original sale weren't crystallized?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”