This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HELP CGT on small flat when paying rent somewhere else

VS2021
HELP CGT on small flat when paying rent somewhere else

Postby VS2021 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:46 pm

Hello,

I need advice about Property/ CGT.

In 2013, I bought a small 1 bed flat in London and I have lived there alone between 2013 and Sept 2020. I spent around 8k for cyclical works in 2019 as part of the leasehold agreement.

In Sept 2020, I moved into a larger flat in North London with my partner, we equally share rent there (we don't own the house).
In order to be able to pay my own rent in the larger flat, I let my 1 bed-flat in Sept 2020 and with the rent I collect from there I pay my own rent in the larger flat I share with my partner. After tax from the rent I collect, I have a loss of £100 per month circa in this larger flat. (I get around £750 a month from the rent I collect after tax and my part of the rent in the larger flat is around £850 a month)

Now, I am considering selling the 1-bed flat to buy a larger one, I estimate its value is 60-70k higher than in 2013. Do I have to pay CGT on it even though I used that rent to pay for another rent and I actually personally lose £100 a month? Would I be able to claim the 8k as part of essential expenses of the house and avoid paying CGT on it? How much would that CGT be?

I earn around 50k a year before tax from work, so my tax band is already 40%

Thanks in advance for your time.

darthblingbling

Re: HELP CGT on small flat when paying rent somewhere else

Postby darthblingbling » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:36 pm

You'll get principal private residence relief for the period it was your main residence (likely 2013 to sept 2020) plus the last 9 months of ownership as deemed occupancy.

If you intend to sell soon I would guess that the entire gain would be covered by PPR and you would have no CGT to pay.

I'd concentrate on potential expenses for your rental income.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”