This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on rental that increased in value whilst it was my own home

Kammy86
CGT on rental that increased in value whilst it was my own home

Postby Kammy86 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:32 pm

I wonder how profit can be correctly calculated on a rental property that was initially my own home for 2 years.
In fact the property gained in value significantly before it was rented out.

details -
house bought for 250, lived for 2 years... was worth 330 around time I rented it out... then rented for 5 years and counting is now worth 400.
I know this because it was also when I went though divorce and my ex wanted more money from me in order to transfer of equity into my sole name.
I did end up giving her more money than she was owed just to get her off my back. At the time she used an estate valuation to show that it was worth 330 - obviously I ripped this up and threw it in the bin LOL.

However, i doubt that piece of paper would be valuable to me?

So the question remains, how do i correctly prove the value of the house at the point i put it on rent? Or what is the way they calculate this situation?

Thanks all in advance.

bd6759

Re: CGT on rental that increased in value whilst it was my own home

Postby bd6759 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:59 pm

The only way is to apportion the gain on a time basis.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”