This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

US expat, UK tax resident.

JayCee2
US expat, UK tax resident.

Postby JayCee2 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:33 pm

I am a dual UK and USA citizen, tax resident in the UK. I have capital gains from sales of shares.

Some questions:
1) Will I have to pay capital gains to the US government or am I exempt under double taxation treaty if I pay UK capital gains?
2) If I do have to pay US capital gains, can I offset what I pay the US government against capital gains liabilities in the UK?
3) Since US and UK have different tax calendars, how to avoid double paying when the periods don't overlap?

Thanks for your help.

AGoodman

Re: US expat, UK tax resident.

Postby AGoodman » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:43 pm

It looks like you may only have to pay in the UK - see the UK / US treaty Article 13(5).

BUT I have no clue about US tax so you need to check that, check you are UK treaty resident and how to claim the relief in the US.

DavidTreitel

Postby DavidTreitel » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:35 pm

The UK has the primary right to charge tax. Under the treaty, the US gives credit for UK tax paid each year. Consequently you'll want to be certain you pay the tax to HMRC by 31 December each year. The treaty has no effect because of the saving clause.

JayCee2

Postby JayCee2 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:32 pm

If I have a capital gain that was realised in august 2020, it would fall under the UK tax year April 2020 to April 2021, so it wouldn't be taxed in the UK until January 2022.
However for the purposes of US taxes it would have occurred in the period Jan 2020 to Dec 2020 so would have to be filed by April 2021.
Would this lead to a situation where I'd have to pay the full US tax because that is due first, and then later pay the full UK tax because they get "first claim".
Would I be able to offset the EXPECTED UK tax against any claim by the US government to avoid this situation?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”