This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Cgt on forex shares

Bill31
Cgt on forex shares

Postby Bill31 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:01 pm

I work full time, but on the side as a 2nd income im trading forex currency.
Say if in a year I withdraw 14k, am I correct in thinking I only pay tax after my personal allowance of 12,500? So I be paying it on £1500...

Any advice on paying tax on profits for forex appreciated...

AGoodman

Re: Cgt on forex shares

Postby AGoodman » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:32 am

You would pay tax on your profits - withdrawing/leaving the profits in your account is irrelevant.

Your personal allowance will be built into your PAYE so is likely to be used up by your employment income. You get the benefit in your pay.

All additional income is likely to be taxable.

Bill31

Postby Bill31 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:50 am

Sorry I meant to say cgt exemption is 12,000 not personal allowance.

So if im full time employed and trading on the side isn't the first £12,000 of gains free of cgt?

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:45 pm

If you're making investment gains, yes.

If you are trading (in the tax sense) you will be subject to income tax.

Whether you are investing or trading depends on a number of factors - primarily the frequency of trades. Most private investors are investing as frequency is low. Look at the "badges of trade". bim20090

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”