This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Brain frazzled!

Foucauld
Brain frazzled!

Postby Foucauld » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:47 pm

Can someone solve this riddle!

My uncle left me his house in 2004 - valued at £225000.

However, it was held in trust until my other uncle either died or moved out. He sadly passed away in 2017. Before any works were completed on it, it was valued at £463000.

I spent roughly £30000 on it installing central heating, kitchen, and electrics etc and then rented it out.

The house is now worth £750000.

However, I now need to sell. My question is...

Do I calculate CGT from when he died in 2004? Or from when I gained full possession of it in 2017?

Nobody seems to know. :?

AGoodman

Re: Brain frazzled!

Postby AGoodman » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:29 am

Who did you ask?

If Uncle2 had a right to live in the house under your Uncle1's will, Uncle2 would likely have had an IPDI (immediate post death interest).

This means that:

- it would have been in Uncle2's estate for inheritance tax when he died (but could still have been tax free if he was a widower and other his assets were worth less than about £190k.
- the value is rebased for capital gains tax on uncle2's death.

The effect is that your acquisition value is £463k plus £30,000 (assuming all the works counted as improvements). Gain of circa £257k.

Foucauld

Re: Brain frazzled!

Postby Foucauld » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:20 pm

Thank you so much.

Basically, the house wasn't transferred to uncle2 upon the death of uncle1. The land registry show that it was placed into the solicitors name so that I couldn't sell up until uncle2 moved or passed away. All inheritance tax was paid by my uncle1.

(Obviously, the house is now in my name)

Does any of what I said make a difference?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”