This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT and Split Year Treatment

FrenchChris
CGT and Split Year Treatment

Postby FrenchChris » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:53 am

Hi everyone,

Having lived abroad for many years and definitely non-resident for tax purposes in the UK, I returned permanently in December 2020 which will make the 20/21 year qualify for split year tax treatment.

Q1: Do I qualify for the Annual Exemption Allowance on gains realised from the sale of investments since my return to the UK and if so, is it the full allowance or pro-rata.

Q2: Earlier in 2020 whilst still non resident, I sold a UK property and paid the CGT in France as required. The sale was declared to HMRC but was declared as a loss using the April 2015 non-resident valuation. So, can I offset this loss realised whilst non-resident against gains realised since December, ie whilst Uk resident?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate all your help.

Regards,

Chris

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”