This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sale of shares - CGT or PAYE after one year?

tapetheescape
Sale of shares - CGT or PAYE after one year?

Postby tapetheescape » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:40 am

Hi folks. I have some questions about shares/options I have and would appreciate any guidance!

I worked for a company in the UK from 2012 to mid 2017. During that time, I had share options that were granted and vested.Last month I exercised and sold some of those shares, and the company I worked for did a tax withholding of around 40%, which as I understand it will be reported by the company via PAYE. My question is - if I exercise and hold the remainder of shares, and only sell them after 12 months of holding, will there still be a tax withholding at exercise, or will I need to report the capital gain and pay the CGT rate of 10% or 20% dependent on the amount?

Thanks all!

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”