This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on rented property returning expat

greenmark
CGT on rented property returning expat

Postby greenmark » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:13 am

Hi All

I've a property that I've owned that has gained in value while as an expat. I want to work out when I return if it would be better to sell the home before I return and then pay CGT, or if it would be better for me to return to the home as my main residence and then sell it.

Story is
- bought the home for about £200k in 2003 and used it as my main residence.
- moved abroad in 2005 and have let out the home since.
- plan to move back to UK in Feb or March 2022.
- in January 2015 I had an estimate from an estate agent for the sale price of £500k. It was not a surveyor's valuation.
- currently similar homes in the area are now going for about £550k.

The property is the only home I have ever owned.

I know that if I sell the home while still living abroad, I need to pay CGT on any gains since April 2015. The HMRC website has a handy CGT calculator for that and gives two options - the CGT since valuation made in 2015, or a pro-rata CGT based from 2003 to the date of sale.
Obviously the CGT on a valuation would be much lower if the estate agent's estimate was correct and could be accepted. For the second option the website calculates I need to pay about £30k in tax.

So am wondering what might be the options for minimising tax when I return.
- would I be able to use the estate agent's estimate as the valuation for calculating the tax, or would I have needed a proper surveyor's valuation at the time?
- if I were to return to the UK and make the property as my main residence, how would that affect my tax burden? Would I need to pay CGT at all or only for the time I was not letting out the property? And for how long would I need to live in the property for it to be considered my main residence?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”