This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

bed and breakfast rule clarification

marinero
bed and breakfast rule clarification

Postby marinero » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:34 am

I am a little bit confused about one of the consequences of the bed & breakfast rule.

Am I right in thinking that if:

* on day 1 I sell 100 shares making 10,000 capital gains profit
* on day 5 I buy these 100 shares again for the same price I sold them (call it trading error)

i then pay no capital gains tax because I made the purchase of the same amount for the same price within a 30 day period?

Is this correct?

maths

Re: bed and breakfast rule clarification

Postby maths » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:37 pm

Agreed. Under the B & B rules a disposal is matched with purchases within then next 30 days.

So if you sold 100 shares at say £10/share and repurchased 100 at the same price within following 30 days then no gain arises.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:59 pm

But your base cost remains as it was for the original purchase - you've still got those shares.

marinero

Postby marinero » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:59 pm

thank you both for the answer. I am relieved to see that my trading error did not cause me to erode part of the annual capital gains allowance.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”