This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital Gains on US stock sales

coastal
Capital Gains on US stock sales

Postby coastal » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:02 pm

Hello

I am a long term UK resident and a US citizen. I have capital gains from the sale of US stocks to report on both my returns - IRS 2020 and HMRC 2020/21 - which exceed the exemption amounts in each case (previously I have been within the exemption so hasn't been an issue).

I would just like to confirm that as a UK resident, the tax should be paid to HMRC, with a foreign tax credit claimed from the IRS so I don't get taxed twice. I already filed my 2020 US return and made a payment, but I think I can just apply for the tax credit on my 2021 return, using whatever date I make a tax payment to HMRC? Although I will eventually get a refund I believe I also need to file estimated taxes to avoid any penalties as I have additional ST capital gains realised already in the first quarter of 2021 which will be taxable.

Can someone confirm that is correct?
Thank you.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”