This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital Gains Tax on residential property

JuliaC
Capital Gains Tax on residential property

Postby JuliaC » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:23 pm

Hi there,

This isn't straightforward but hoping someone can help give me a ball park figure.

Bought a home that I shared with my mother in July 2003, it was 50/50 between us and we paid £24k in total for it.
I moved out in April 2007 and bought another house with my now husband.
March 2016 my mother transferred the whole of the property to me as long as she could carry on living there rent free, property was valued at £128k, but I didn't give her any money - as she will be living there and not paying rent.

If I was to sell the property at an estimated value of £170k, how much CGT am I liable for? I could transfer a % to my husband couldn't I so that he could use his allowance? How do I work out how the period of time I was living there reduces my liability?

I've seen people on here talking about base cost etc, but I am not sure what that means.

I work part time for £27k a year, so I know that I will have to pay !8% up to the threshold and then 28% above the threshold. Husband earns £39k so I know I wouldn't be able to transfer that much to him before he hits the higher rate bracket.

Hopefully that's enough information to go on.

Thank you,

Julia

maths

Re: Capital Gains Tax on residential property

Postby maths » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:34 pm

Sale proceeds 170,000

Base cost [12,000 + 64,000] 76,000

Gain 94,000

Exempt portion 4/13 x 94,000 = 28,923

Taxable gain = 65,077 - 12,300 = 52,777.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”