This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT loss on selling main residence

lostreason
CGT loss on selling main residence

Postby lostreason » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:15 am

Hello,

Through bad luck or simply overpaying we’re set to make a sizeable loss as we sell our main/sole residence.

I would like to know if we can recoup some of these losses by declaring the loss for Capital Gains. I own a number of shares in my employer’s company and would like to know if I can deduct the profits of selling those shares from the loss made on the property.

Additional:

As the property is in the name of both myself and my wife and we both own shares can we both declare the CGT loss on the property?

I’ve paid CGT before but only using the HMRC’s one off web forms. I’ve never done self-assessment.

Many thanks

pawncob

Re: CGT loss on selling main residence

Postby pawncob » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:49 pm

Gains and losses on PPR are exempt from CGT, so no relief available.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”