This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT advice

garylove
CGT advice

Postby garylove » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:27 pm

Background
I was in the process of selling and buying a property however; the buyer of my property pulled out of the purchase and so as to not let the property I was purchasing falling through, I with my Brother continued with the purchase and it was completed the beginning of January and we moved in the End of February. (I had to pay Second home Stamp Duty)

My property has subsequently been sold subject contract

My Question is - When this all goes through (hopefully next month) are we liable to CGT?

This property has been our sole residence for the past 24 years.

Many Thanks Gary

someone

Re: CGT advice

Postby someone » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:29 am

If it was less than 9 months from when you moved out to when you sold (and you always lived there) then it's 100% covered by PPR and you don't even have to include it on your tax return (if you do one)

I don't know about the new residental 30 day CGT forms - whether you have to do a zero return. Hopefully somebody else will comment.

Jholm

Postby Jholm » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:10 am

Re: 30 day return....

These are only required in instances where CGT is due (and arising from residential property), so provided the full gain is covered by PPR, a 30 day return is not required.

garylove

Postby garylove » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:04 am

Many Thanks for your reply's thay have been very helpful.

Gary

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”