This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Paying CGT with no Gateway ID

abidemi
Paying CGT with no Gateway ID

Postby abidemi » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:21 am

My husband and I are the joint leaseholders of a property which we plan to sell. It is not our home so we will have to pay Capital Gains Tax when it is sold. We submit our income tax returns annually using the paper form as my husband is not a British citizen and we have never been able to successfully verify for online self assessment. The paper forms work well for us in these circumstances.

However, having read the guidance for reporting and paying CGT, it appears you have to have a Gateway iD, which I have, and, of course my husband has not! The available paper form for CGT is for the tax year 2020-21 so is not appropriate. CGT has to be paid within 30days of the completion of the sale so we certainly cannot wait until the end of the next tax year if we sell within the next few months. How will we report and pay this assuming we do sell the property in the next few months? Can I pay it myself as I have a Gateway ID even though it is a jointly held property? Advice would be much appreciated.

pawncob

Re: Paying CGT with no Gateway ID

Postby pawncob » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:48 am

You can't pay his tax through your account, so be old fashioned.
Write to the Inspector dealing with your affairs and give him full details of the sale, quoting both UTRs and he can arrange to issue an assessment, with info on how and when to pay. Payment can be made by cheque or electronically.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:49 am

You can't pay his tax through your account, so be old fashioned.
Write to the Inspector dealing with your affairs and give him full details of the sale, quoting both UTRs and he can arrange to issue an assessment, with info on how and when to pay. Payment can be made by cheque or electronically.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

abidemi

Postby abidemi » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:01 pm

Thank you for responding. I wish we were allowed to be old fashioned as we are with our self assessment paper submissions! When you say, inspector, do you mean HMRC? I agree we are going to have to contact them to find out how to pay CGT when the time comes. As we will only have 30 days to report and pay when the property is sold, we need this information well in advance, if only to spare us any more stress!

robbob

Postby robbob » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:35 pm

You should be able to get relevant paper form so all is not lost.

pawncob
I am not convinced i would 100% agree with this being the best course of action - thankfully for digitally excluded individuals (or customers as hrmc would call you) there is a paper form that does the job - you just need to contact hmrc and assert that due to not being internet savy you do not feel safe being forced to submit anything online where you could be then comprimised with confidentail info - hmrc should without too much fuss issue you with relevant paper form to complete. If they resist issuing paper from IMHO they should be robustly challenged that they are forcing you down a route that could compromise your safety and you are not willing to do that. Sometiems you can get rogue advisor that will not do the right thing and might try and fob you off hopefully that is not the case - if you don't like what you here from advisor one i would say try once more to ask the smae question.

I was pleasantly surprised the one time i did request the paper form that at least that was promptly dispatched.

I think the problem with pawncobs route is that the formal mechanism should be used to submit details as far as i am aware (please correct me if i am wrong pawncob) and if you simply provide info by letter they may therefore default so writing back and saying that you should submit online - if you do go down pawcob's recommended route please directly highlight the fact that you do not feel safe submitting anything online so that if form needs completing you are formally requesting a paper form be sent out. Hopefully that will at least do the job of at least matching a request for apaper form via phonecall.

Note due to time limits incvolved i wouldnt trust that hmrc to repond to any written request so i would recommend getting through to hmrc helpline asap and requesting paper form on the basis you are not able to file digitally due to lack of intenrent saviness.

On an associated note i have just seen the following note ref filing online within 30 days - what a complete shambles hmrc are - and they have an afront to call you a customer when you have no ability to take your custom elsewhere who will treat you like a human being :)
Due to a temporary problem with the service, you cannot submit a return for the tax year 2021 to 2022 if one has already been sent for the tax year 2020 to 2021. If you submit a return, you may receive an incorrect calculation.

abidemi

Postby abidemi » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:49 pm

Yes, I noticed that! It’s ridiculous! I’m not even sure if they are referring solely to CGT returns or if they also refer to self assessment. Maybe it refers to those who have sold more than one property.

There is a paper form online SA108 that is for CGT. However the one available is for the tax year 20-21 and, as the property has not been sold, we cannot submit that with our paper tax returns for 20-21. The flat will hopefully be sold in the next few months so we obviously cannot wait until we submit next years tax returns as it would be well outside the 30 day limit. With this new requirement, I would hope they have a paper form that is not restricted to a particular tax year. It is sad to say the least that if you don’t fit a certain profile, it is made so difficult to do the right thing and pay taxes on time!

robbob

Postby robbob » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:17 pm

There is a paper form online SA108 that is for CGT.
The paper form i am refering to is nothing to do with the self asssessment form or the sa108 for m that you mention (the sa108 is part if the self assessment form practicably speaking) -this is a specific approved paper form that replaces on a lfl basis the relevant 30 day online report that you would do if you were internet savy enough - as you are not internet savy hopefully hmrc will be happy to provide you with the paper form that allows you to file withn 30 days. It's a shame they do not publicise the fact that this paper form route exists - thats the repect they have for their "customers" - nil.

abidemi

Postby abidemi » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:48 pm

I thought I was fairly internet savvy but as you say I’m not, would you be kind enough to send me the link or the name of the form, please. It sounds perfect! Thanks!

abidemi

Postby abidemi » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:19 pm

Well, thanks robbob! I called HMRC and there is indeed a stand-alone form to be completed when the property is sold. It is not available online and I have to wait until we have a completion date. The important thing is to report the sale within the 30 days. Receiving an assessment of payment due may take a month or two but once the report was made in time, there would be no penalty. Apparently they are working on making it easier for non UK citizens to register with online submissions but, due to security risks, this is taking time!

Thank you all for responding!

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”