This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Transferring beneficial ownership of property owned by two brothers

umeshg1
Transferring beneficial ownership of property owned by two brothers

Postby umeshg1 » Sat May 08, 2021 1:15 pm

Two brothers own their respective main residence in their joint names. They had a family understanding that they will be 100% beneficial owners of the property they reside in, They now wish to formalise by Transferring their respective shares to each other in the two properties so that they each own the main residence in their names

Can they now prepare a declaration of trust of the family arrangement declaring the beneficial ownership and transfer the properties without incurring any Stamp Duty or Capital Gains Tax

Thank you

umeshg1

Re: Transferring beneficial ownership of property owned by two brothers

Postby umeshg1 » Sat May 08, 2021 1:21 pm

Sorry forgot to mention. They are no mortgages outstanding in these two properties

Thank you

Jholm

Postby Jholm » Mon May 10, 2021 11:00 am

I imagine them gifting their share of the property they lived in would give PPR relief, possibly full? Otherwise, I cannot immediately see a way around the CGT.

Re: SDLT, I would let someone else respond on that.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Mon May 10, 2021 1:50 pm

https://www.taxinsider.co.uk/swapping-or-gifting-interests-in-property-cgt-issues-ta
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

umeshg1

Postby umeshg1 » Mon May 10, 2021 4:22 pm

Thank you all

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”