This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Land Sale Question - CGT at 20% or 28%

ssmyth
Land Sale Question - CGT at 20% or 28%

Postby ssmyth » Thu May 13, 2021 5:27 pm

Hi,

I shall be obtaining planning permission for a new dwelling on the driveway/garage block of an existing residential investment property I own.

When I sell this development plot land for someone else to build, I understand that CGT will be payable on the gain however would this be at 20% or 28%? There is no existing residential dwelling on the actual development plot land however it is currently part of the permitted area of the existing residential investment property I own.

I have read some guidance saying that 20% CGT would be payable since there is no residential dwelling on the development plot land itself. I also elsewhere have read that 28% CGT would be payable since this development plot land is part of the "permitted area" of the existing residential investment property I own.

If anyone has experience in this area, any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Sarah

maths

Re: Land Sale Question - CGT at 20% or 28%

Postby maths » Fri May 14, 2021 2:03 pm

An analysis of Sch 1B TCGA 1992 I suggest supports the view that the 28% rate applies.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”