This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT help and questions.

lhtc
CGT help and questions.

Postby lhtc » Tue May 18, 2021 4:37 am

Hello

I am selling a property this summer. And now working out what I need to do capital gain wise.

The timeline of ownership is below.

March 14 - purchased flat - £160k
July 14 - extended lease - cost 3k.
April 16 - rented out property, as moved away for work.
Nov 18 - Tenants left. Had to cover bills/ mortgage myself and was registered at property.
Jun 19 - New tenants moved in
May 21 - Tenants left. Now looking to sell.
Jun 21 - living in property myself whilst its sold.
Sept 21 - hopeful for completion.

Sale price of £260k.

My questions are:

1 - Can I include the extension to lease cost as a ‘cost’?
2 - How to work out the private residence relief?
3 - What other ‘costs’ can be taken off? - assume estate agents, anything else?
4 - I am married (bought this before we got together) but my spouse is not named on the mortgage - can we still claim both our annual allowances?
5 - This is currently my only property (bought another property as my residence in 2016 and sold 2019), does that make a difference?
6 - What is the simplest formula to work out what is due.
7- I have been unemployed since earlier this year, but have a new role starting in early July. This role will see my salary be over the basic tax rate. Therefore will I be charged the 28% rate on all the gain?

Appreciate any advice..

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”