This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Calc CGT on shares when price not known

john__2021
Calc CGT on shares when price not known

Postby john__2021 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:10 pm

I bought shares in one company over a period of around 15 years. I made ten trades over that time and ended up with about 22,000 shares. I am trying to work out what CGT I would owe, but I dont know the value of some of the trades in terms of what the share price was. Is there a way to figure out how much the costs are when you dont know the share price of every trade? I think I recall reading something a while back that used some form of average price. Thanks

Jholm

Re: Calc CGT on shares when price not known

Postby Jholm » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:40 am

For listed companies, historical share prices very easy to look up as a guideline but there is no guarantee that is what you paid at the time. Furthermore, the costs in your share pool stand to change with each acquisition and disposal.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”