This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gap between buying and selling

Bel76
Gap between buying and selling

Postby Bel76 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:09 pm

Hoping someone can help clarify my understanding.

We are buying a house to live in and will be selling our main property. There may be a gap where we own the new property but haven't sold our old house yet.

Having tried to read the guidance am I right in thinking that providing we sell the old house within 9 months there is no liability and we wouldn't need to take any action any longer than 9 months and we should nominate the old house as our main residence?

We also have a let property that we have never lived in which I'm assuming also isn't an issue?

Many thanks.

pawncob

Re: Gap between buying and selling

Postby pawncob » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:55 pm

PPR relief is a matter of fact, but the rules are clear.
See:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/private-residence-relief-hs283-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs283-private-residence-relief-2021
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

AGoodman

Re: Gap between buying and selling

Postby AGoodman » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:39 pm

The other catch is that you will have to pay the additional 3% stamp duty for a second property and then reclaim the difference when you sell your original home.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”