This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sub-division of property and CGT

SamuelPeeps19
Sub-division of property and CGT

Postby SamuelPeeps19 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:30 pm

I'm trying to find someone who can help with determining how much capital gains tax is due on the sale of a property.

My dad bought the property originally as a 2 bed end terrace, in the 1980's. It was extended to be a 4 bed property in the 1990's and is now in the process of splitting the property into two separate 2 bed properties. One is being sold and the other is being retained by my dad.

The property has been my dad's main and only residence since he bought it. He's had the building regulations sign off for the work done to split it in 2, but the splitting of the deeds isn't going to take place until 1 half is sold (he has accepted an offer, so the sale in is flight).

He has an interest only mortgage on the original property, which he is going to pay off with the funds of sale and move into the newly created property.

Any help is much appreciated as I'm very confused looking online and speaking to a few people. One suggestion was the calculation would be based on what the value of the 4 bed house would have been.

AGoodman

Re: Sub-division of property and CGT

Postby AGoodman » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:47 am

If he lived in the whole house until recently, principal private residence relief will apply so no CGT.

If he moved out of the part being sold more than 9 months prior to the sale (exchange of contracts) - presumably to allow works to be done - he will have a small gain but this is likely covered by his annual allowance.

The relief is applied in the same proportion as his time living there (plus final 9 months) divided by time in ownership.

If the relief is less than 100% or he files a tax return anyway, he will likely need to declare it on a tax return and claim the relief.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”