This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on sale of holiday home

pandora_boite
CGT on sale of holiday home

Postby pandora_boite » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:21 pm

I bought a old farmhouse as a holiday home 25 years ago. I spent money on renovating it and on adding an extension, all with the required planning permissions.

I am now planning on selling it, but don't know how to calculate capital gains. At the time I did the renovation I was not thinking of the future sales issues. I no longer have the bank statements or receipts from all those years ago.

Can someone please advise me on how should I go about calculating the capital gains when I sell this property.

Jholm

Re: CGT on sale of holiday home

Postby Jholm » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:02 pm

You can claim the costs without receipts but just be aware that if HMRC ask for evidence, you might struggle to substantiate. It would be expected that you have incurred some costs though anyway.

Did it ever become your main residence at any point or has it been a second home throughout?

In it's simplest form, without claiming any reliefs, the gain will be the sale proceeds, less sale costs (eg. agent/legal fees), less renovation costs, less purchase price (and acuqisition costs).

Then deduct your annual exemption of £12,000, any b/f losses and the CGT is charged at 18%/28%.

If you own it jointly, your share would be declared in line with ownership.

pandora_boite

Postby pandora_boite » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:02 pm

Thanks for the response.

It was my principle residence for 3 years, and no it is not jointly owned.

Although I don't have bank statements and receipts, I do have numerous photographs of the house before, during and after the renovation. Is there some official way to allocate renovation costs based on these photos (eg by having a surveyor/estate agent give an estimate. Would that be acceptable if HMRC wanted some substantiation.

I can't believe that my circumstances are rare, I would imagine this happens a lot with properties that are held for a long time, so I would hope that there would be some official way to allocate costs. The problem is, that this was quite a major and expensive renovation, so I would like fair costs allocated.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:44 am

You could submit a CGT computation and have it referred to VOA for a post improvement valuation.
https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg74000
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”