This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sell vehicle

zk161290
Sell vehicle

Postby zk161290 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:04 pm

Hi

If i am a sole trader and I purchase a 0% emissions electric vehicle. I then use first year allowance to offset the full cost of the vehicle as a buyer expense (assuming 100% business use) in year 1.

What happens in when i sell the vehicle (for example in year or year 3), if i sell for less than what i paid I believe i am not liable for capital gains tax. But theoretically the car cost me alot less than the market value initially as i offset the cost as a tax expense.

Would i then be liable to payback the tax relief of the cost of the vehicle which was initially claimed?

Jholm

Re: Sell vehicle

Postby Jholm » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:42 am

Sale proceeds would go into your capital allowances computation as a balancing charge.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”