This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT expenditure offset

al91
CGT expenditure offset

Postby al91 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:13 pm

I and two unrelated people own a share of a property. The property is leased out to a business and generates income for all three owners. There is a Declaration of Trust in place that simply states the percenatge owned by each parthner.

Throughout the our ownership of the property there have been two expenditures on this property. One was done by us and the second by the business owner, with our consent.

We are now thinking of selling the property and are trying to figure out the capital gains tax. Can we include the second expenditure, done by the business owners, to offset our capital gains or just our expenditure.

Basically, how would we calculate our capital gain tax?

Jholm

Re: CGT expenditure offset

Postby Jholm » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:42 pm

You wouldn't claim an expense that you did not incur. I imagine the business owner claimed that expense themselves (rightly depending on the facts) so the effect would be double relief if you were to claim it also.

Assuming the same owners have owned it from day one, then 1/3 split on proceeds and costs between each.

al91

Postby al91 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:25 pm

Thanks for posting a reply...Thats what I had suspected but one of the partners had thought otherwise and so I just wanted to make sure. From my understanding, in this particular case, CGT is applicable to each partners 'individual' gain and that is what they would declare. Thanks again for the clarification.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:07 pm

The gain isn’t split 1/3. It is split in accordance with the ownership shares declared in the deed of trust.

It may be 1/3, but not necessarily.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”