This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

non resident selling UK home

Brightonian
non resident selling UK home

Postby Brightonian » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:52 pm

Does anyone know if the HMRC CGT on property calculator is reliable? I have been trying to calculate the gain using the default method, where the client had PPR for a period after April 2015 (as he did not become non-resident until 2018) and I cannot see how it has worked out the tax. I had no problem with the calculation where the gain was spread over the whole period of ownership i.e. the 'normal' method for resident taxpayers but I can't figure out the H<RC result for the rebasing method. I had thought it was a simple matter of calculating PPR based on the number of qualifying days since 5 April 2015 plus the final 9 months divided by the total number of days since 5 April 2015. But I don't get the sa,e figure.
Also what happens if he returns to the UK within 5 years? Does he have to pay CGT based on the difference between the normal method and the rebasing method? And, if so, does he get two annual exemptions - one for the year of dale and one for the year of return?
At first sight the calculation looks straightforward and then you actually try to do it!
Thank you for amy guidance you can offer.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”