This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital Gains Tax / Selling Website

applow
Capital Gains Tax / Selling Website

Postby applow » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:52 am

Hi there.

Looking for some advice on both capital gains and personal tax I may owe/soon owe. I've been abroad for 18 months and I'll soon be selling my website/SASS app.

So, in May 2018 I left for Thailand. I was away until Dec 2019 and then returned for around 55 days in total. In March 2020 I came back to Thailand and I haven't left since. In August 2020, I created a website that's been generating income and I hope to soon sell this. I have a few questions that I need some help with, please. Oh and I don't have any company set up or anything, it's just me and I'm just selling these as assets, as far as I know.

1 - Do I owe any personal tax for Apr 2020 - Apr 2021? I wasn't ever in the UK in this time but the money has gone to a UK bank account.

2 - Do I owe capital gains tax for selling a website as a sole trader/individual? If I do owe capital gains tax, are you aware of any relief schemes that can help me?

3 - In general, does receiving these funds, whether it's from profits or sale, in a UK bank account have any affect?

AGoodman

Re: Capital Gains Tax / Selling Website

Postby AGoodman » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:18 pm

You can't be UK tax resident in a year where you were never present in the UK. So:

1. Only any UK source income
2. Usually not if you are not UK resident when you sell. However, if you return to the UK within 5 years of departure, you could be subject to capital gains tax on your return (this is known as temporary non-residence). You might benefit from business asset taper relief (formerly known as entrepreneurs relief) but one of the conditions is that you have owned the business for at least 2 years and you appear to be 10-11 months short of that.
3. No

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”