This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

cap gains on switch from accum to income class unit trusts

uncle john
cap gains on switch from accum to income class unit trusts

Postby uncle john » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:45 am

Good morning

We've sold some units in the accum version of a unit trust, and bought back the income version of the same unit trust, in the same class, the same day.
We did this just because we needed the income. My understanding was that this wouldn't give rise to a capital gain because of the 30 day rule.

I've since seem some conflicting opinion on whether a gain might in fact have been crystallized.
I'd have thought that this would be a fairly common query, but can't find anything helpful in the HMRC manual, and the only mention I can find of the question on this website dates back to 2013.

Can anybody give me a definite answer?

Many thanks for any help.

pawncob

Re: cap gains on switch from accum to income class unit trusts

Postby pawncob » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:38 am

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5860818/accumulation-and-income-funds-cgt
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

uncle john

Re: cap gains on switch from accum to income class unit trusts

Postby uncle john » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:34 pm

Thank you for the fast response. A very useful link - perfectly clear, even if it's not the answer I'd have preferred!

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”