This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Allowable expenses upon transfer of equity.

ollie
Allowable expenses upon transfer of equity.

Postby ollie » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:38 pm

I wish to transfer a share (approx 10%) of a property to my daughter. The property is rented out with a small mortgage. I am considering transferring more than the amount allowed by the CGT tax free limit so understand that 18% tax is payable on the extra amount (up to higher rate tax limit). I have rental income from another property and I believe that this forms part of my total income when assessing how much CGT is taxed at 18% before going into the 28% range.
My question is: when calculating my total income for CGT on transfer of equity can I set rental expenses such as mortgage/ repairs improvement costs against rental income to calculate how much of the transfer would be liable to 18% tax?

Hope this makes sense - and thank you in advance for any replies.

O.W.

pawncob

Re: Allowable expenses upon transfer of equity.

Postby pawncob » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:08 am

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/property-income-manual/pim1020
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

ollie

Re: Allowable expenses upon transfer of equity.

Postby ollie » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:05 pm

Thanks pawn cob.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”