This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Using previous undeclared losses against gains

tangiebaals
Using previous undeclared losses against gains

Postby tangiebaals » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:47 pm

Hi

So in 2020/2021 I realised a gain in Crypto of around 13,500. I however have previous losses I'd like to offset against this.

• 2011/2012 I made a loss on shares/CFDs and filled in a CGT section with "total losses of the year" of £2K and "losses available to be carried forward to later years" of £2K. There were no gains - this was done in anticipation of future gains...
  • 2013/2014 I made a loss in shares/CFDs of about £3K however I didn't submit a CGT form and so accept that this is no longer claimable against.
  • 2017/2018 I made a loss of about £1K on Crypto but didn't submit a CGT form.
  • 2018/2019 I made a loss of about £300 on Crypto but didn't submit a CGT form (in fact I didn't submit a self assessment form as I was advised I no longer needed to)
  • 2019/2020 I made a loss of about £7K on shares/CFDs but didn't submit a CGT form (in fact I didn't submit a self assessment form as I was advised I no longer needed to)
I now need to declare my 2020/2021 gain on Crypto, and want to use my previous losses as much as possible to offset.

First question is - I know there is a "real time" Capital Gains service - however given that I want to use previous losses, and I made >10K last year, do I need to do full self assesment?

Second set of questions is: -

• The £2K loss I declared in 2011/2012 hasn't been mentioned on any paperwork since - can I still utilise this?
  • The 2013/2014 loss I believe to be a right-off as it's >4 years ago - is that correct?
  • The losses from 2017/2018 onwards fall within 4 years (i.e. declarable before April 2022) can still be used to offset this year (and future years) - is that correct?
All the above being true - how do I go about declaring the 2017/18/19 losses and combining them with the 2011 to then offset against 2020 and future years? Do I just attach suitable calculations for those years and put the sum of them in "losses brought forward"? And if so do I have to re-attach the 2011 calculations, or will the system "know" about that already?

Many thanks

Jholm

Re: Using previous undeclared losses against gains

Postby Jholm » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:37 pm

It seems this answers your queries...

https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax/losses

tangiebaals

Postby tangiebaals » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:30 pm

Thanks. That page is more the "what" than the "how", though.

It's not clear whether I can just include calculations for all those years in this year's tax return, or if I have to have notified them before e.g. by post, and if so how that has to be done in terms of forms etc. For example, do I need to fill in the CGT form for each of those previous years to "back fill" or just declare the loss value together with the list of transactions?

I will call HMRC for advice when I return from holiday next week, but was kinda hoping for a steer of the "how" here - though appreciate I probably littered the original question with more "what's" and muddied the real purpose of the post!

Thanks.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:41 am

The claims must be made in writing. Just send a letter giving details of the losses you have made.

Keep a copy. For protection send it recorded.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”