This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT Calculation - Disposal residential property

CGT Calculation - Disposal residential property

Postby 170872 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:16 pm

Hi All, I have a question and hope someone can answer

Scenario - A,B,C D owed a property bought on 10.3.2008 for £700K - all connected family members (A & B are husband and wife). The B (the wife) passed away on 6.1.2015.

On 8.3.2021 the property was transferred to D (Son) for £900K

My question is - (1) CGT payable by only A & C?
(2) How about the gain related to B will A take her share means 50% on him and rest 25% each
(3) Will D the new ower pay CGT as well? or only A & C
(4) will they get the PPR relief if part way during the year they stayed in the property and the let out

Thanks

pawncob

Re: CGT Calculation - Disposal residential property

Postby pawncob » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:02 am

Assuming B left her share to husband, then only A and C are liable. (assumed no one's PPR)
A takes B's share at same base cost.
D's liability only arises on his disposal.
(4) Who are "they"? It's unlikely that a casual occupation qualifies for PPR. Depends on whether other PPR exists/elections made.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”