This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Moving abroad and crypto question

AngelaRA
Moving abroad and crypto question

Postby AngelaRA » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:01 am

If I permanently move abroad to a country with no CGT - then can I sell my crypto without paying capital gains tax on the first day I move abroad?

Or do I have to wait 5 years to avoid the UK Capital Gains Tax?

Also - I bought the Crypto when I was overseas - am I right in thinking that the 'location of the crypto' is where it was purchased?

AGoodman

Re: Moving abroad and crypto question

Postby AGoodman » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:17 pm

It depends - you do not necessarily become non-resident on the day you leave the country. You would need to look at the split year rules:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rdr3-statutory-residence-test-srt/guidance-note-for-statutory-residence-test-srt-rdr3#split-years

If these rules don't apply to you then you will need to wait until the following tax year - i.e. 6 April.

The five year rule is that a temporary non-resident - somebody who is non-resident for less than 5 full years - is liable for capital gains tax on disposals they made while they were abroad. Accordingly, you can make disposals as soon as you become non-resident but you have to ensure that you stay non-resident for 5 entire years (tax years I think).

HMRC take the view that crypto tokens are located where the owner is located. Other views differ. This hasn't been tested in the courts but should not make any difference to you unless you are domiciled outside the UK (domicile being a very different concept to residence).

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”