This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self assessment estimates or valuations ?

Rob11
Self assessment estimates or valuations ?

Postby Rob11 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:43 pm

Hi, I'm filling my self assessment for my capital gains from trading and there is a question saying:

Do your computations include any estimates or valuations? (optional)

I'm using a third party app to calculate all my transactions, so my asumption would be to answer yes here. But I would like to understand what this question is actually about, I'm not entirely sure about the used terminilogy.
In what case would someone answer no here ? Isn't always safer to say that your calculations have estimations ? Also what does the valuation refers to ?

Thanks.

pawncob

Re: Self assessment estimates or valuations ?

Postby pawncob » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:09 pm

CGT is a matter of fact. Estimates are only used when the facts cannot be ascertained.
for what are you using an estimate?
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Rob11

Postby Rob11 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:50 pm

The third party app sometimes can't sync properly with exchanges APIs and it's using 0 cost basis on some transactions. Basically I'm overpaying a little bit because of some small issues. So I don't know if these inaccuracies count as estimates.
What you say makes sense but since the calculations are not 100% correct I don't know if I should answer yes to the question.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:38 pm

Use a better App. Try the HMRC CGT calculator.

Rob11

Postby Rob11 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:11 pm

Unfortunately it's not an option, I have hundreds of transactions, I've been learning and trying a lot of things. That app is the best one I found, it's either this or go to a professional accountant but given my ridiculous profit it would be a waste of money. So I decided to use it for the previous tax year at least and see how it goes.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:50 pm

If the difference is due to lack of sync with API, then the figures provided are not estimates. They represent the actual transaction, so no estimate is made.

Rob11

Postby Rob11 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:04 pm

Alright thanks, I'll answer no to that question then.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”