This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Negligible Value versus CGT deferral

Oli From Reading
Negligible Value versus CGT deferral

Postby Oli From Reading » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:10 pm

I sold some shares so acquired a CGT liability, but bought EIS shares to defer that liability.

Years later the EIS shares became of Negligible Value, so I'm putting the paperwork together to claim loss relief.

However, does the zero-value of the EIS bring the CGT liability back into force? Do I need to buy another EIS to defer again any CGT liability that's above the annual allowance?

I've been through all the HMRC documentation, and I interpret a few hints that it might be but can't find any clear statement about it.

Thanks,
Oli

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”