This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Claiming loss relief

Oli From Reading
Claiming loss relief

Postby Oli From Reading » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:39 pm

Can anyone clear this up for me... I have a negligible value claim so I've gone through all the HMRC notes on how to claim, but as far as I can see from paperwork point of view, it's the same process as claiming loss relief where it's all loss.

But I've seen a few references hinting that they're different. For instance, someone said to me:

"...it means you can now claim loss relief (this is only if you haven't done a negligible value claim on these, as you can only do one or the other)."

Am I missing something - is there a significant distinction (benefit) between a partial loss and a complete loss?

Thanks,
Oli

Stats

Re: Claiming loss relief

Postby Stats » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:17 pm

For "negligible" read "total". In other words, you can only claim after it is clear there is Nil value. In the event of a partial loss, you would have to make a disposal to a third party to gain loss relief. With shares, beware that once your investee company is dissolved you need to be vigilant as there is an early cut-off date for making a total loss claim, being the tax year in which the company was dissolved

bd6759

Re: Claiming loss relief

Postby bd6759 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:06 pm

For negligible read negligible.

Total loss is covered by 24(1). There would be no point in 24(2) if negligible also meant total.

A negligible value claim is a deemed disposal and reacquisition of the asset. The deemed disposal is what generates the loss.

Having created a loss it then has to be claimed under s16(2A).

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”