This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT for expat returning to the UK

chocaholic
CGT for expat returning to the UK

Postby chocaholic » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:52 pm

Hi there,
I have been out of the uk for 18 years. I have a UK property that I would like to sell. I was hoping of taking advantage of the fact that only gains since 2015 would be taxed.
Sadly it appears that I will be back in the UK before I sell.
If I were to sell the house as soon as I return to the UK would CGT be payable on all the gains? Is there a way around it?

Thanks

AGoodman

Re: CGT for expat returning to the UK

Postby AGoodman » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:28 pm

Yes, once resident, you are liable for all the gains.

The only thing you could do would be to rebase the property before you return (in a prior tax year) by e.g. selling to a company or giving to a trust. The former will incur SDLT. A gift to a trust will only work for properties below £325k as above that you will have to pay 20% IHT.

A rebase will basically be a sale before you return, just to a connected party which then later sells on.

chocaholic

Postby chocaholic » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:55 pm

If I were to return in January and sell the house before April the 1st, would I still incur a CGT ? In the tax year 21/22 I will have only been in the UK for about 3 months.

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:51 am

If you are resident under the srt rules, including split year cases then yes.

Have you calculated the gain under each scenario, would the saving warrant staying out of the UK a little longer? I know there may be factors beyond tax driving this.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”