This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Inherited Wasting Assets CGT

keepgoing99
Inherited Wasting Assets CGT

Postby keepgoing99 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:30 pm

IHT payable on estate

1 year after death various wasting assets/chattels that were used previously in business have made CGT gains (machinery). Chattels figure was disclosed and IHT paid but by taking my time finding the right buyers/working through them (took ages) have yielded more than expected.

I have not use the assets in a trade/profession, merely selling them to get rid/move on in life.

Do items sold less than 6k thus not CGT applied to them as they are wasting assets? I see this exemption does not work if the assets are used in a trade/profession, but I don't know if my cataloguing/selling the assets over time qualifies as me undertaking a "profession" or not!

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”